Wednesday, July 30, 2008

City Council a Disaster

I attended my first Northfield City Council meeting Monday night and frankly, it was pathetic. I've heard a lot about some of the issues that Northfield city politics have been facing: an incompetent mayor (who at least appeared to be sober at this week's meeting), a possible suit from the city administrator, city council members stepping down, etc. This however, was a much higher level of incapability that I ever expected.

It was an hour and a half filled with procedural confusion, bickering, personal attacks, and utterly childish behavior that was downright inexcusable. [I expect Rush Limbaugh and Keith Olbermann could have had an easier time getting along, or at least being civil. (New "We Campaign" Ad anyone?....Hah!)] Much of this appeared to revolve around the mayor's need to feel like he was in charge: he repeatedly interrupted any council member he disagreed with and was utterly incapable of compromising with anyone...on anything.

At one point, Contented Cow owner Norm Butler stood up and declared, "I have never seen such passive-aggressive behavior in my life." And he was right.


I understand that local politics can be frustrating: after all, a lot of time and effort has to go into procedural issues, hearing every citizen's voice, discussing, drafting proposals, voting, etc. It's not exactly the most efficient process and it likely never will be. However, I have witnessed Duluth City Council meetings before, and while they may have had some conflicts of their own or seemed to have droned on for hours, at least they were led by a group of (mostly) adults.

I had attended the meeting in hopes of hearing a discussion about the Northfield Energy Task Force's recommendations about energy issues, global climate change, etc. as well as a discussion about non-motorized transit. However, after an hour and forty minutes of wanted to shoot myself in the foot to at least have something to distract me from the pain of what I witnessing, I had to get up and leave. And for how much I care about the issues, that is really too bad.

1 comment:

Erin Lamberty said...

hey ryan! i'm diggin your blog, also introduced my friends to it. keep it up and hopefully see you sooner than later!